In 1951, work began to grade and lay track for a grand circle rail route for recently acquired authentic 3 ft narrow gauge C-19 engines No. 340 Green River (renamed Gold Nugget #40) from the Denver & Rio Grande and No. 41 Red Cliff from the Rio Grande Southern, historic Consolidation class (2-8-0) locomotives from Colorado. They would haul a yellow combination baggage/coach No. 103 Calico with arrows embedded near the baggage door (now renamed to original Chama, arrows and numbers removed and painted in heritage period Pullman-green livery of D&RGW) and several more vintage wooden passenger coaches filled with guests on round trip excursions when the route opened on January 12, 1952. The Durango parlor car, the Silverton observation sleeper and the B-20 Edna Business cars were held with the caboose on sidings during normal operation. Whether in the heavyweight steam train or the light duty Galloping Goose No. 3, the highlight for many guests was their encounter with the "train robbers" of Knott's Scenic Route of the Ghost Town & Calico Railroad.
Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70s/80s we visited Disneyland on a regular basis and often after school, before "Annual Passes".
Visit our sister blog LADL for MORE Disney in the links below: