The grand Candy Parlour on the edge of Ghost Town, fronting a formal rose garden, didn't fit the look of the rest of the Western village. When it opened in December 1959, the Candy Parlour had a fancy, 1890s facade inspired by the designs of Otheto Wilson.
The building still stands today!
The exterior was painted in bright colors and gingerbread trim and its interior was red and gold with white marble counters. Claude Bell painted portraits of Walter and Cordelia Knott which were featured front and center.
Visible through large windows from the sales floor, guests could watch expert candy makers in the process of whipping up chocolates, taffy, suckers, brittles, and turtles as well as seasonal chocolate Easter eggs and Christmas candy canes.
Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70s/80s we visited Disneyland on a regular basis and often after school, before "Annual Passes".